I Can Have a Dream

Allyson - Cedar Hills, Utah

“You are impossible. You can’t do that. You might as well give up.” Often times I find myself in the presence of such statements being made. At moments I hear the stories from people, explaining how they were told that they couldn’t do something and to just give up. They were told that they couldn’t have a dream because it was impossible and hard, but I believe that everyone can have a dream no matter the difficulty.

Just a few years ago, I was in class learning about careers. We had a substitute that day. Our assignment was to write down our dreams for our future, specifically detailing what we wanted to accomplish in life. Each student began to record the careers they wanted to have. I did the same, but with more enthusiasm; I had a dream. The teacher then asked for people to share what they had written down. I raised my hand and was called on. I explained that I wanted to become a teacher and an author. The teacher paused, looked me in the eye and directly stated that this was unrealistic and impossible and that I would have to choose something else to do. This took me by surprise, for she had spoken so strongly and had chuckled to herself as if it was ridiculous to even consider in the first place. Her words offended me. I didn’t understand how she thought this to be so absurd. She explained that they were both very busy jobs and that it would be impractical to acknowledge the thought. She then moved on to other students as I sat cemented to my seat, reflecting on the words she had recited.

No one should ever tell anyone that they cannot have a dream. They have no right to own the actions of a positive goal in life. That is what a dream is: a goal that you can work toward over time and live for. Now maybe this dream does not sound important to other people, but it does to me. Authors and teachers inspire me to go beyond the ordinary, and bring about my inner self. They inspire me to become someone, not just a person in the world who lives only to breathe the same air that everyone else does. They inspire me to do something about what I think and feel. They inspire me to inspire others. I want that chance to do the same by becoming a teacher and an author.

My dreams are my hopes that keep me going forward. I believe that no one can take those away from me. I believe that there is a purpose in life for all of us and that it starts with who we want to become. I have the ability to inspire others and grow in my knowledge. I can make that possible if I follow my dream. Everyone can have a dream no matter the difficulty. This I believe.