Believing in yourself

Justin - Pleasant Grove, Utah

In my recent childhood I have lived to be small, and mostly unimportant. In my unimportance I was always put down and called names of “Shrimp,” “Half-Pint,” and many others. I was put down in scorn. That’s when I learned one of the most important thing in my life. I believe that believing in yourself is one of the most important prospects in your life.

I don’t mean the self conceded prideful belief. I lived in a home with 3 brothers, and 1 sister. My oldest brother wasn’t much help in my own self esteem. On most days he beaten into me that I was small, unimportant, and could overpower me. But my Dad and my own perseverance to believing that I’m someone, kept me alive.

In past years I have kept believing in myself, and doing what I want to do. Not what someone said I could and couldn’t do. I did every sport I could do, Soccer, basketball, Baseball, and in 8th grade at 4 feet 10 inches I did Football. I have stayed in football, and it has helped become more in believing in my abilities, and in myself. I have become a more fun, and happy person. I believe, since I believe in myself, that I have become for capable to good.

I’m not the only one who has had to believe in myself. People like George Washington had to believe in himself. He could not have led the colonies to victory in the Revolutionary war if he decided he couldn’t do it. What if he hadn’t ever tried, because he didn’t believe in himself? We probably would have no United State, but no he was confident, and very believing. He became a leader that everyone loved and everyone still loves.

It’s always sad to see one person who doesn’t believe in himself and, isn’t confident. Just to see how their lives are going. I see pictures and stories in the newspaper of many people who didn’t believe in themselves and ended up bad. You can tell because of the way whey had treated others and themselves. Almost everyone who doesn’t believe in themselves and don’t care. Most of these poor people end up going the wrong way with drugs, and crime.

I believe that if everyone believed in themselves, but are not prideful. This world would be very productive and a wonderful world: no more arguments, and no more put downs. If only, if only, if only, everyone were confident and believing in themselves.