Black Athletes

Avereigh - PleasantGrove, Utah
Themes: sports

Athletes dominate modern pop culture. Perhaps you have heard of some of these: Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Jerome Iginla, LaDanian Thomlinson, or Terrel Owens? These people are constantly talked about in the world of sports because of their unbelievable athletic skill. And they all have on thing in common, they are all black. Professional sports, football and basketball especially, are dominated by the people of African/American descent. Even those African/Americans who are a bit heavier than average are still involved in professional and non-professional sports. A lot of these people are large but very agile, much more agile than you would expect. Romeo Crennel and Jerome Bettis are excellent examples of this. This I believe: black people are born with a natural athletic talent.

Among the younger generation, people who can jump far and/or high are said to have “black hops”, and with good reason: black people just seem to be able to jump higher and farther than just about anyone else. People like Michael Jordan and Kadour Ziani (5-foot vertical), enforce that belief.

Throughout history, we have gone from hating and enslaving blacks, to fearing them, and now, all of a sudden, everyone wants to be them. I gave developed a hypothesis as to why we used to fear and despise them like we did: They are just so much stronger and more athletic than anyone else! They were used to replace the native Indians in South America as slaves because they could do more backbreaking, menial labor. It was only natural to want a stronger, more able, slave. Now that we have nearly gotten rid of open racism, we have come to see and acknowledge their often-superior athletic gift. Almost everyone you ask in junior and senior high schools admits to wishing that they were black so they could have the natural athletic that black people have.

I have been playing soccer for all my life. When i was about eight years old, I was playing on a team i had played on for the last four or five years. Our team was completely filled up. My dad was the head coach but, because of his job, he could no longer commit to practices and games. He searched around for a replacement for about a month. He finally found what he needed in a thirty-five year-old 2nd generation African/American. He could run with us and was actually able to teach us pretty complicated things in a way we could understand. His son joined the team (it was his first year) and became an all-star/goalscorer.

Frequently, black people all over the world have proven themselves as great athletes. There are simply too many very athletic black people to say that it is all due to hard work, unless they are born with a determination as well. I can think of no other explanation than this: black people are born with a natural athletic talent.