Reaching Out

Autumn - Pleasant Grove, Utah

In today’s society, the main problem that faces everyone is poor self-esteem. Sometimes I will make a mistake and I get so caught up in it that I do not stop to think that mistakes are common among all people worldwide. Then, that one mistake gets the better of me and I feel unimportant. Everyone feels this way and I know that. This is why I believe that it is so very important that I reach out to those individuals. I believe in reaching out to everyone.

I had an uncle named Art, he was a good example in many ways: He had dreams and he followed them. The most important thing that he did that I will never forget: he was kind and understanding and a loyal friend and companion for anyone and everyone that he met. He helped all kinds of people, despite race or beliefs. Anytime he saw someone that was (literally) suicidal or even just a bit lonely or depressed, he stopped, invited them over to his house and talked them through whatever their challenge was. He alone probably helped hundreds of people to gain optimism about life and their sorrows. He was like a lighthouse to them: guiding them through the darkness.

Art and one of his close friends were driving back from St. George, Utah in unusually foggy weather when they hit a large patch of black ice. The car flipped several times. My uncle and his friend were flown to intensive care. His friend was fine but Art died within forty-eight hours of the crash.

At the viewing, the owner of the mortuary/funeral home came over to where my mom and grandma were standing and said that in all the years that he had done funerals, he had never seen more people at one viewing than were there at Art’s.

Some days I do not feel like I am very important and I feel like I can’t do anything right. When these days come, I simply pull out his CD (from his rock band) and I think about what he did for all those people that felt the same way. He inspired me to reach out to others. I am very glad for his example and I can now see why he bothered to stop and say those few simple words of comfort. To reach out has a reward that is worth more than anything. It is incredible to see the smile on suddenly dawn on someone’s face after I have helped them. I have noticed that when I make someone else happy, I feel happier too! It is a very simple yet complex way that I cheer myself up. I believe in reaching out to everyone.