Perfection is Unattainable

Cassandra - Pleasant Grove, Utah

5:45 a.m. My alarm goes off. In the darkness of my room, I groan. “Not today,” I whine. “I can’t get up this early.” At that exact moment my light goes on and my dad drags out of bed. Literally. One word explains this action: Piano.

Every day except Sunday I have to practice an hour or more on the piano. If I don’t have my material perfect by my next lesson, I have to call my teacher. Of course, I believe I have it perfect. When I get to my lesson that all changes. I believe that perfection is unattainable.

What is perfect? Who is the person who has the power to judge what is perfect and how do they get it? As far as I know nobody is perfect in this world. And, no matter how hard you try ,you will never be perfect.

All of my life I’ve heard the saying practice makes perfect in everything you do. But it’s a lie. Practice can only make you better. Ballet dancers, for example, work themselves to the very core to hear the word “perfect” from their dance instructor. But that day never seems to come. I can tell you this from personal experience that this is the truth. I am almost positive that everyone in the world has felt this way at one time or another. As a teen I always have constant pressure. People are always demanding more, whether it’s my grades, chores, or reports that I have to do. And after I’ve put everything I have into it sometimes I hear, “ This is really good, but you could do better. I know it.”

In your lifetime, if you ever hear or see about something that is “perfect” I can tell you for a fact that it is a fake. You know that for yourself as well, because nothing is and never will be perfect. Have you ever felt that you could see perfection but when you reach out to touch it it’s suddenly gone? Perfection is simply an illusion that everyone aims for but no one gets.

I believe that perfection is unattainable.