Friendship: true happiness

Jason - Pleasant Grove, Utah

As I have lived my life I have tried to find out what makes life enjoyable, fun, exciting? I’ve tried to understand what is that one thing that drives us to get out of bed every morning and continue our seemingly impossible pursuit for what? Every human that has lived has a yearning to find this one thing or object that will make life more pleasurable and worthwhile. What is it? I believe that friendship through out our lives is the one thing that makes life livable.

I have come to this conclusion through pondering and thinking about events that have happened in my life. A little while ago I dreaded waking up every morning. There was supposedly nothing in my small mind to wake up for. I didn’t have someone that I was excited to talk to and interact with. I lived this boring unproductive life for awhile until someone befriended me. Every day they would do something as simple as say good morning to me or say hi to me in the hallways and talk to me. They became a friend to me that I can always count on. That persons friendship has made all the difference in my experiencing happiness.

Even through life and religion, friendship ends up somehow being a main goal we strive for. Usually in life one of your pursuits is to find a mate. Someone to talk to you whenever you need to let you feelings out. Someone to provide for you or look after your children. Someone that will be there to hold you in their arm and tell you ever thing is all right. These are acts of compassion that end up leading you to happiness when life’s struggles come at you and they come through a friendship with your mate. Your ultimate best friend.

Most religions believe that somehow there is a supreme being out in the universe that started all this. We believe that through this supreme being we can some way or another gain happiness. Friendship is usually somehow related to how we gain this happiness. In life we pursue for happiness. I have experienced many forms of happiness and I think that the one true form of happiness that is as rare as seeing a shooting star but as powerful and warming as a sunset comes through friendship. As I have been the victim of longing friendship I have made a goal to never reject people my friendship. I might be the factor that makes their life worth living. I believe in Friendship.