My S.O.S.

Heather - Pleasant Grove, Utah

My S.O.S.- a cry for help in the ocean, a plea for someone to step in, a need for a better life. My S.O.S. Is that of a different sort, although it accomplishes the same desired goal. Mine is one of acceptance and a love for life. Appreciating the simple, opening up, and saving your memories may be the only way to really find what matters most.

Many people underestimate the value of the simple, the elementary, and the plain. They are the things in life that we glance over. What they don’t understand is that these are the most important. My sisters crayon drawing on the wall, Mom’s box of buttons, and sitting in a rocking chair that over looks the sunset, are a few of the overlooked examples. Little value is placed in their existence, and the outside world considers them trash. No one gives them the credit they deserve. Their influence in life goes unnoticed, but until it’s gone, we never realized how much we loved them.

My family got a cat a few years ago that was in an unsightly state. It was wandering the street, and had a shortened tail because it had been chopped off. You could see the little white tip of the bone sticking out the end. Her ear was swollen and cut. She had many abrasions all along her body. We took her in and cared for her. Now she is fat and fluffy though her tail and ear never recovered. She was the simple, overlooked for what she was.

Walking down the street, you can always tell that others are looking down on you: for the way you look, dress or act. This cat that we adopted wasn’t the cutest. Her former home could have all the pleasures of life, but no one loved her. Without love, no one can survive. We took her in when no one else would. We fed her, cleaned up her wounds, and healed her. There are too many people in the world like this today. We need to open up, accept, and love them all for who they really are.

Our lives go on so fast, many of us don’t have time to stop and take it all in. However, if we take that time, and recollect our thoughts and memories we can gain a better understanding of the world we live in and others around us. Even the simplest things have great sentimental value.

The world will go on without the little things. We will still have jobs, and families, but out opportunities will slowly begin to close, and eventually our lice will be that of a robotic standard. If we take the time to get to know others, and appreciate the simple things of life, we will have a story, a legacy, and an experience to share with our future generations. This I believe; send out your S.O.S.