Music helps

Hayden - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Have you ever just been sitting in class wondering what subject you are going to do on the particular paper you are writing, but then a song pops into your head and the ideas just flow on in? I have plenty of times, in fact that is what made me decide to write this essay on music and how it really can help people in life. In my case on almost all assignments, whether it’s math, geography or English, I use music that is stuck in my mind and just hearing the beat or the lyrics involved in it basically inspires me with ideas, words, and stories.

I have personally seen men and women throughout the world, or what I’ve seen of it so far, be helped in making big decisions or just getting through the day using music. One example of this is how one of my good friends was on the verge of suicide, and I feel part of that desire was coming from the music he was listening to at the time, but when a few kids and I got him listening to some better music, that wasn’t necessarily “goody-goody” music but it made him feel uplifting and not angry and depressed. He is still here today and I feel the main reason, or at least one of them, is that change in his musical selection.

Another way I have seen music effect our world in serious ways is within the average family setting. I have seen it both positively effect one, as well as negatively. My family, as an example, has been negatively affected for the most part, but a little good effect as well. The way it has been negatively affected is because of the “questionable” lyrics in some of the songs my brother and I listen to that promote violence and swearing at times. This not only makes my parents mad but it just seems to bring a bad environment into our house.

What I am trying to get through to anyone who hears this is that I believe music does affect the choices and attitudes used throughout .the rest of the world, and if everyone could choose music that helps them help others and also in the ways they need help in, the world would change for the better.