When I Finally Bloomed

Grace - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Everyone hides who they really are so that society sees them as something they’re not. Nobody wants people to know what they’re really like. They’re afraid that they will be shunned by society for being ‘weird’ in everyone else’s eyes. I’m not among them; I don’t like to hide who I really am. I don’t like to be a fake. I believe in being me.

I didn’t go to regular school like every other kid when I was younger, so of course, I had no friends. When I finally got into public school, I was frightened. I didn’t know how to respond to all these new people, so I hid my true character: silly and wild, and pretended to be ‘cool’ like everyone else. It worked for some time, but eventually, I made the mistake of slipping up when someone I knew rather well walked by and we started talking and goofing off like we always do together. The kids I was around before all left me and never spoke to me again after that.. The only person who stuck with me is my closest friend, the only one I’ve known longer than a couple years.

Getting into Jr. High was the exact same experience. It took almost the entire first semester to find a group that shared my same personality and interests. All of those kids are my best friends, and I don’t have to hid myself anymore to fit in. They accept me for who I am. The other ‘friends’ i had in 6th grade were always telling me that I should act this way or that way, controlling my life. It made me realize that they weren’t the right kind of friends for me to have.

I’ve always been very grateful to the friends I made who have stuck with me for the three years I’ve been in Jr. High. Without them, I would still be stuck in a facade, worrying about having to hide my inner self and try to pretend to be someone I’m not. No one should have to worry about impressing their friends to be cool. Everyone should be able to be themselves, whether they’re wild and silly like me, or shy, or just – normal.

I have met and know so many people who have hidden themselves for years, and it’s almost ruined their life. If they would just break the chain binding them to their confinement, they would probably have a much happier life. There are others, however, who haven’t a care in the world about what other people think of them. They express themselves fully without thinking twice, and even if it means that they lose a friend or two, they don’t dwell on it, and move on. I deify those who have the courage to show who they really are to the whole world. I believe in being me.