This i believe…

Alyssa - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: humanism

Imagine being in a world full of superheroes. Everyone dressed up in their own unique costume: saving someone’s life, saving the day, or maybe saving the world from destruction. Now bring yourself back to reality. What do you see? Any superheroes? You are probably thinking no. Truth is there are many “superheroes” out there. Underneath the jeans and T-shirts there’s a fine layer of silk. A silk jump suit: with underwear on the outside.

Men and women and boys and girls of all ages, out in the world doing random acts of kindness. Friends, family, and strangers too. Think about yourself. What have you done?

You don’t have to do something drastic to be a superhero. Saying hello, or holding a door open, or maybe even just a simple smile can make a difference in someone’s life. There are people in out world that need help, comfort, joy and happiness: that’s where you come into play.

A couple months ago I had an incident happen with one of my very close friends. She showed up to school late and wasn’t acting herself. I didn’t think much of it. Maybe she would call me later and tell me everything. No phone call. The next day, she wasn’t there. This was very unusual for her, so after school I decided I would call her. No answer. I tried and tried again. Finally she picked up. We started talking and expectingly I got a strange prompting that I should say some things. I mentioned to her that I really cared about her and I didn’t want anything to happen to her. We ended the conversation and I went back to doing my homework. A couple of hours later, she called me back: crying. She thanked me for calling and saying the things I did. She was going through really rough times trying to accept herself for who she was, and she was going to do something very harmful to herself. Her mom told me I was a hero. I’m glad I was there to help

Currently, I am involved in a program at my school called P.A.L.S. What we do is help. We help the seventh graders open their lockers and help our fellow students find their classes. We also do some service projects in the community. I feel that being in the program and participating in it makes me a “superhero”.

So you ask what i believe in: I believe everyone can make a difference.