I believe in superheroes

McKenzie - pleasant grove,, Utah

People often picture superheroes with capes and super powers, such as flying. But mine doesn’t wear a cape-she mostly wears jeans and she can’t exactly fly either. How can she be considered a superhero then? My definition of a superhero is a little different than most. I believe that there are superheroes all over the world and that everyone has one. You just have to look closer than funny costumes and catch phrases, because a real superhero is all your own.

Not very many people know this about me, but about four years ago my father passed away. I remember waking up that morning sitting in my parent’s bed with my siblings. I could hear footsteps coming up the stairs belonging to my mother. With tears rolling down her cheeks, she managed a smile and said, “We’ll be okay, I promise.” as she pulled all of us into a hug. It was at that moment that I realized that my mother was a superhero.

After being a single mom and raising four kids, you’d think she would’ve gone crazy. But she hasn’t; she’s hung in there all this time. She has made it possible for me and my siblings to live a life with dance lessons, vacations to Disneyland, holidays with turkey dinners and presents, but without her having to go out and get a job.

My mom makes sure that when I get home from school, she is the first person that I see and talk to about my day. She’s not just there in the stay-at-home-mom kind of way, more of the “I tell my mom everything, and she helps me with anything I need” kind of way.

For example, last year, when I was having a hard time with school, friends, and trials she made the problem so much better for me. She was always there to listen to the stories I was had, to give the best advice that she could, and comfort me when I was ill. What helped the most was that she was there as my best friend. My mom always told me that everything would work out, and that I shouldn’t lose hope. She’s never given up, and she’s never let me either.

This I believe, everyone has a superhero: your mom, grandfather, a fire fighter, or even superman himself. There’s someone out there who has inspired you, been there for you, and you really look up to them. That’s what a real superhero is. No super strength or x-ray vision. All of those special powers come from inside that person and how their actions reflect in your eyes. And my superhero, my mom, showed that to me.