The Power of Forgiveness

Wade - American Fork, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

When I lived in Hawaii i had a cousin. His name was Curtis. He loved to build things and one project he was particularly proud of was his Lego castle.

One day when my family came to visit we came at the same time that he was at a swimming lesson at the Rec center. My mom had told me this on the short ride there and I began to form my plan. One thing that I had wanted to do was to sort of showoff my building talents that I thought that I had. And to do that I needed to work on the castle with out Curtis there. And there I saw it in all its glory on the top shelf of his small closet. I reached up and much my dismay found that I couldn’t reach it. I scanned the room looking for something to boost my self up. I grabbed his chair and pulled it over to his closet. I stood on my chair and reached up to take it down. I tried to pull it down but I couldn’t it was too heavy. With my final grunt I lifted it off it pedestal and dropped it. It fell down with and hit the ground with a thunderous clash.

At the time I wasn’t able to fully understand why he was so angry. But now, as I look back at that tragic day I realize that I didn’t just break his castle, I broke his passion, I broke his hard work and all that time he had spent working on that castle. In that split second I destroyed weeks and weeks of his time. But despite all that was happening I learned a valuable lesson. Curtis was mad but he wasn’t mad at me. He knew that I didn’t know what I was doing. He forgave me. And to this day I will always remember the second chance that me cousin gave me. I believe in the power of forgiveness.

As we go through life and learn to forgive we become more and more human. Us as humans are different from the other animals. But what makes us different? We all breath, we all eat , and we all communicate with others. So what makes us different. I have concluded that our ability to forgive one another is what defines us as a human reach. Our gift of forgiveness is what separates us form all the other animals on this planet. No matter the crime or no matter the act we have that choice to forgive one another and to give others a second chance.

I my self have been on both ends of forgiving. I know that at some points when I have forgiven it has set me free. I was no longer tied to that person who committed the crime against me. I believe in forgiveness.