I Believe In Love

William - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: love

I believe in love, and in it’s power. And I believe, it can change the world. Everyday, many people live their lives with negativity and selfishness. Everyday, I realize billions of people are out there suffering, starving, dying. And here we are, living in the comforts of our own homes, indulging on almost anything we please. Many don’t realize what’s truly going on in this world. And when we do find out just a glimpse, it only touches most of us for a second, and then we lose our compassion and move on.

When you watch the news today, you can see a lack of it. When I watch it, I see kids in Africa starving, dying, being kidnapped. These people live in fear because of these wicked people attacking them, and it needs to be stopped. But there just aren’t enough people helping. This isn’t just in Africa, this is going on throughout the whole world, and it can be changed.

Even closer to home these problems become evident. Where I grew up as a kid, not far from where I now live. Drugs, gangs, violence, and so much more ran rampant many times. So many kids that I grew up with, some were friends, and some were not. I look back and see how their lives have been changed. Some are drug addicts, some are high school dropouts, some are even in gangs. And this has got to be because of the lack of love. Where did they get their love? Who knows, maybe they didn’t. But my family was there for me, and still are. And I think I can say that I turned out to be very blessed.

It’s amazing what simple acts of love can do. If people had more love for their fellow man, we wouldn’t have wars, poverty, or half the problems we have today. We couldn’t. But we’re stuck with them. And it’s because of how bitter, greedy and selfish the world is becoming. The world could have half the problems it does, because it’s so much easier to make peace with someone you care about, than someone you don’t.

Growing up I was raised by family and friends that loved me, and still do. I needed love, and I still do. And I think that everyone does too. So why not show just a little more compassion, respect, and love for those around you? Everyone makes it harder than it has to be and they don’t need to. It’s not that hard, you just have to want to want it. You have to make it happen. And it doesn’t have to be anything huge. No, just a smile could change someone’s day for the better, saying hi, or just acknowledging someone. I believe in love, and though I have a ways to go, I know that I make a difference.