I believe in being myself

Sydney - Pleasant Grove, Utah

I believe that the only person worth being is myself. I am the only person I should be. I don’t need to conform to be happy. I just have to be who I am inside. If I don’t wear certain brand name clothes it is okay because it doesn’t matter to me. I have friends who like me for me and that is how it should be.

Recently, I was in a stressful situation with my friends. In order to be in their group I found myself changing who I was. I did not like being around them because I felt like I didn’t belong. I was never happy because I couldn’t have fun I just had to try and fit in. Even when they were having fun I was not. They did not have the appreciation for me as a person. I was so confused because I did not like the “new” me even though these friends did. Why didn’t I like me if they did? I was telling my story to one of my other friends who I have several classes with. She said that I could come eat lunch with them and see if I was happier. I decided I would give it a try and walked to lunch with her. I laughed all lunch long and was so happy. I was finally myself again. I knew that I was content being me because my new friends were too.

Once when I came home from school my sister was there. She is my best friend and I can talk to her about anything and she knows that. When I wouldn’t talk about my day she knew something was wrong. I had been trying to change and conform. Lindsey, my sister, looked at me and said, “I miss the old you. I barely can talk to you anymore because you are always so sad. Please don’t do this to yourself.” She knew that the girls I was friends with were part of the problem. She told me I should find friends who liked me for me. My friends were mean. How could they be nice to someone who didn’t even like them self. They are much nicer to me now that I have different friends. They can see that I like myself now and they can respect that.

Only now can I realize what you do to yourself when you simply change who you are. After all, life is too short to be someone else: just be yourself. You hurt others around you and mostly yourself. There is always someone out there who appreciates you for you. I know that I can be happy and healthy if I just stay me. I believe in being myself.