Unique is the road to take.

Kaitlyn - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Junior high. Those words spark many thoughts in my mind: judging, bullies and name calling. Many people in this world don’t tolerate those who are diverse. They think it’s amusing to pick on others who don’t fit their idea of the “ideal human.” Many do not understand that only a few words can change a person’s life. So this I believe, we should accept people for who they are.

In my life I have a very good role model of this statement: My brother. My whole family is into athletics, all but him. My brother has more character than anyone I know. He loves to stand in front of people and act or sing. He is the greatest and kindest individual you will ever meet. I have often heard from him things that people do that they don’t think does much damage. Such as calling him names of pushing his binder from his hands to fall on the ground. They hurt his feelings and his individuality. It is gut-wrenching to me to hear these stories because i love him and want to protect him, but I can’t. He is just trying to live life to the fullest and have a great time. Still some people try to shape him into the same identical clone as everyone else. If people had the nerve to stand up for someone else I believe it would result in a great amount of gain for both individuals.

Most people believe that standing up for someone who is not accepted can”kill” their reputation. They also have it in their mind that it will make them look bad in front of their friends. I know that this is not true. When you let someone know that they should stop it often makes them think about what they are doing. I have an experience when I was just giggling about how many books one boy in the hall was carrying. Some one I know well just smiled and kindly said, “Don’t make fun of him.” I didn’t realize that this could be thought of in a mean way. This comment made a titanic effect on me and i have so much respect for this person for standing up for someone they didn’t know and helping me to think and be more careful about other people’s feelings.

Some people bully on purpose. Yet there are so many who do not ever realize that we are hurting others. I just need to be aware and help people who are not being included or just need a little encouragement. I believe that by accepting people for who they are, our world would be a much more entertaining place to live in.