Families are the truest friends

Courtney - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Throughout all of my life I have had many different friends. Most of them I don’t even talk to anymore. But, through all of that my family has been there, unwavering and steady.

When no one else will even talk to me, when I make a mistake big enough that I don’t have a single friend anymore, my family is there and I know that they will already have forgiven me before I even made the mistake. They will love me no matter what happens.

Families will be the most trustworthy people you can know. They have the least to gain and the most to lose through betraying your trust. Your family can be your best friend. It never gets awkward because you don’t always have to be doing something to be entertained. If your bored of each other you can leave and do your own thing. You don’t have to worry about what everyone else thinks of you when you are with them. You can just be yourself.

When I was fighting with my best friend, my family became my new best friends. When my friend and I couldn’t stand each other it seemed like everyone was on her side and I didn’t feel like I had any other real friends. That was when my sister became one of my best friends. We used to fight all the time, but maybe the little fights helped us practice how to get over the big ones. Now I probably spend more time with her than with anyone else. I love knowing she won’t judge me because I look really bad one day, or because I don’t like one of her friends, or how good I am at sports. She will still be there even when I am being extremely weird one day. The kind of fights that would make me and my friends not talk for weeks, will blow over by the next morning for me and my sister.

Friends aren’t as strong through their trials. And when those trials get too hard, your friends will leave you. Maybe it is because they already know that they are stuck with you, that they fight their way through with you. They will never go along with everyone else and leave you behind because it is “the cool thing to do”. They will not judge you or look at you through everyone else’s eyes. It is because they know you better than anyone else. Even if they are not your best friends, they have been there through everything with you.

I believe in family and all the things that make it up: forgiveness, loyalty, and love.