Just Say No

Anne - Rancho Santa Fe, California

I believe all life is valuable and that every child born or unborn should have the right to live. Unfortunately, this value of a person’s life is often not recognized. Abortion slips past most people as the mother’s choice, but the question to keep your own child should not be thought of as a choice at all. Abortion is what you would call a war against children, except they cannot fight back. The end result leads to millions of deaths per year. What causes abortion is a lack of love. Real love is “giving until it hurts.” If we want peace in the world, the only way we can achieve such a great task is through love. Abortion is as far from love as you can get, for it is a killing of an innocent and defenseless child.

It is too easy for people to validate having an abortion. For example, a woman may not want to have a child because it is not a convenient time, she does not have the income to support the baby, the family is not supporting the mother, the baby is the wrong sex, or the child may have some physical or mental disabilities. One of the most common reasons is that a baby might change their life. But the only way a baby would change someone’s life would be to make it better. Anytime we truly love another human being and make the sacrifices it takes to care for another person, we become a better person. It is our responsibility to care for those who are in need.

Being raised in a large Catholic family I have always been taught how valuable every person’s life is, in or out of the family, born or unborn. When my baby sister, Mary Katherine, was born in 2003, we welcomed her with sincere love and affection. Along with Mary came lots of physical and mental disabilities. Before Mary was born, the ultrasound showed she had hydrocephalus (extra fluid in her brain). She is now four years old and has brought more blessings to our family than the rest of us put together. She cannot crawl or do anything that normal four year olds can do; however, her disabilities do not take away the love we feel for her. Our love for Mary requires sacrifice from all my family, including grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, and sisters. She has to be fed, changed, bathed, played with, exercised, read to, and held, to sustain her happiness. It seems like the greater a person sacrifices, the more he learns to love.

In the United States today, one in three babies is killed from abortion, so now when you look at your graduating class you will realize that one third of the children are not there because the parent did not realize what they were losing. I believe that all life is valuable and that every child born or unborn should have a right to live, this I believe.