This I Believe – You should be able to do what you want to in life

Christopher - Fairfield, Connecticut

Chris G

This I Believe Essay

I believe you should do what you want to in life. You only have one life here on earth, and if you think about it, it’s pretty short. However, for some it might be shorter for those who may die at a younger age. This is why it’s even more important for you to work on doing what they want to in life. If you don’t, your life may have been, pretty much a waste of time.

When I was younger a couple of years ago, I really had two sets of friends. One group happened to be cooler and more popular and was heading in that direction. The other group I had known longer, and were very good friends with. However, they were not heading in the same direction as the others. And all of the sudden, I was faced with what I wanted more. Did I want to become cool and popular and go to all these social events? But lose my close friends in the process, or did I want to stick with my close friends and give up on becoming popular? It didn’t take me long to realize what I really wanted, and thought was most important for me to enjoy in my life. I chose to stick with my close friends; they had always been there for me and hopefully always will be. Looking back, I realize the answer was so simple, I can’t even believe I even considered the other a choice at the time. I considered this to be an important turning point in my life, because if I had chosen the other, it wouldn’t have been what I really wanted to do. I would’ve been stuck and unhappy with that group of friends, and there would be no way I could go back to my old friends after ditching them. So thankfully, I had enough to sense to make the right choice.

I don’t believe that that will be the last big choice I have to make. We have to deal with choices all day every day. Some are big and some are small, the key is that you have to think them through thoroughly, and make sure that whatever it is, is the right choice and that it’s what you want to do. If it’s not, you could end up regretting a lot.

Sometimes, what you want to do in life may be something as small as plans for a weekend, or big as your choice for a career. The key point is that both can affect you in a very negative way. While the plans for your weekend might just make you upset for a day or so, a career you don’t want can affect you negatively for as long as you may work there. And when you’re always being upset by something as constant as your job, it can have not only a negative effect on you, but on your friends and family as well. When you don’t enjoy your daily routine, which you repeat countless times, it puts you in a terrible mood that makes you seem mad at people close to you, or anti-social. When they think you’re mad at them or something like that, they start thinking what they could’ve done to make you feel that way, and try their best to figure it out. But they never will because it was never them in the first place. But now, they have been upset because of a faulty choice that you made. This shows even more how effective doing what you want to in life can be. It doesn’t only affect your own self, but other close to you. Something so small as a simple choice can lead to a very big disturbance in your life and those around you.

One of the problems about making choices about what you want to do is that the choice you want is not always the “safest” choice. When I say safest, I mean that what you don’t want to do may be more dependable than the thing you do want to do. Again with something like a job, maybe what you want to do with your life is a far stretch, but you have graduated college and can get a job in marketing. What you really want is to be a guitarist, and maybe you’re very talented, but it’s harder to get into that. And maybe the pay isn’t as dependable either. You don’t know what to do, because maybe you’re afraid of taking that risk and failing, but you never know if you’ll fail until you really make an attempt at what you want. And to me, that’s an easy choice, the other job will always be there, maybe even better ones might arise in time. But if the one only thing that you’re worried about is failing at what you want to do, I believe it’s very worth it to try. I say that because you could end up hating what you do with your life anyways, and forever regretting not trying to get out and really go after what you wanted. Just because sometimes the public or the government, or something else makes it hard for you to do what you want in life, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to do it. Life is full of challenges, and if you complete this challenge, it will surely make you much more willing and able to try other challenges, and make other big decisions about what you really want. And this, I believe.