mike - Fairfield, Connecticut

Mike C

I believe that people’s personalities are formed by their friends, family and experiences, rather than being born the way they are. This is because when you are born, you have no personality or knowledge. You learn things as you go on in life.

An experience I had involving this situation is when my grandpa was sick and died. I used to think everything in my life was so perfect. I was healthy and so was everyone in my family. Then I found out my grandpa had Alzheimer’s disease, which affects the memory part of you brain. We used to be so close but after he got sick, it felt like he didn’t even know who I was. I thought he was crazy for not remembering his own grandkids.

He was always so healthy. He would exercise every day and sometimes take me on walks with him.

Then one day when I was 10 I got that life changing phone call. My dad let me know what had happened and why. There was a problem with my grandfather’s heart. I couldn’t believe it. I had only seen him two days before and he seemed fine. This was the worst thing that had happened to me.

I thought this terrible feeling was never going to end. I could never go on in life knowing that my grandpa would never live again. It was weird to think that someone older who took care of me for so long was so hopeless as he was dying. There was nothing the doctors could do.

The way this changed me is I realized nothing could ever be perfect in my life. This affected who I was because even though there are happy times in life, nothing lasts forever including your feelings. I realized that death is a natural part of life and there was nothing I could do about it. Everything happens for a reason. You just have to learn to move on and keep living life. It also made me realize that life is short and you should live life to the fullest. I learned this because when before he died, he always said how badly he wanted to live to 90 years old. This made me realize that I should try to accomplish my goals in life and achieve more things before I get to old to do it.