I Believe in Being Me

Nicole - West Jordan, Utah

Nicole G

I Believe in Being Me

We live in a world where many people are unhappy with themselves and the way they look. Some people get so down on themselves that it makes them unhappy. Many people spend lots of money on trying to make themselves look better, by using plastic surgery, fad diets, changing their hair all the time, etc. Why can’t we be happy with who we are and just be ourselves?

Sometimes we get too caught up in the media and what they display as the “perfect and happy” people. The messages from Hollywood of how people are supposed to be are false and not good. I have also noticed that people tend to compare themselves with others. This is not a good way to build anyone’s self esteem since everyone has their own individual strengths and struggles. Impressing others is also a part of today’s society. All of this worry about impressing people and being just right can lead to frustration and unhappiness. That’s why I believe in being me.

A few years ago I was struggling to feel good about myself. I was having a hard time accepting who I was. I spent lots of time in front the mirror trying to make myself look “perfect.” I wasn’t happy and enjoying life like a 13 year old should. I couldn’t be happy because I wasn’t happy with myself. So I decided to change it. I started giving out compliments and trying to receive them instead of brushing them aside. I changed my attitude and started accepting my weaknesses and recognizing my strengths. I spent less time in the mirror and started thinking of others more than myself. All of these things helped to change my self-esteem and the way I view myself.

When I am happy with who I am I don’t think about myself as much. I have more fun thinking of other people and helping them than I ever would just thinking about myself. I believe in being me and in being happy with who I am, so I can enjoy helping others and make them feel good about themselves too.

Now that I am more confident with myself and happy with who I am I have more fun. I can enjoy life and not worry about impressing people. I’ve found that if I’m always worried about impressing others it’s hard to be myself. Have you ever met someone with “a fake personality” or someone who is “two-faced”? When you are so worried about what people think it’s hard to be you all the time and it’s not fun. Think about it. When you are with your best friend you are probably more likely to be you than with someone you don’t know as well. Which is more fun? Definitely being you with your best friend.

It’s important to not be afraid of being you. Everyone is unique; that’s what makes this world such a great place. It’s important to just let your light shine. You may be surprised at how many people will love you for just being yourself. This life isn’t about impressing everyone or being better than anyone. It’s about being you and being happy about it. It doesn’t matter if I am with the President of the United States or my best friend; I believe in being me.