I believe in appreciating everyone of our senses.

Megan - Oxford, Connecticut

Growing up I was always very in touch with my senses and have seen what the sudden loss of one can do to a person. This is why I believe that everyone should learn to appreciate their senses. I have not until recently realized how important they are to experiencing the simple joys that make life wonderful. Take a moment to sit down and imagine a life without just one of your senses. What would you do without the taste of your favorite home-cooked meal, the smell of your favorite flowers, the sound of your favorite song? Without our senses we would not be able to experience the little things that make life worth while.

In my own experiences I have seen my own mother lose her eyesight. She went from having decent vision one day to losing all central vision the next. When I asked her what she missed most about her eyesight what she said had nothing to do with the fact that she can no longer work and lost her sense of independence. Instead what my mother told me was that what she misses most is being able to read a book, see her children’s faces when they are laughing, and see the art work that I create. She said that it also has made her miss things that have not happened yet, seeing me on my college graduation day, my wedding day or the faces of her future grandchildren. She told me herself how she took these simple moments for granted when she could see, and now that she lost her sense of eyesight she realizes what treasures they were.

When I was just a little kid, I remember being so in tune with my senses. I was once able to enjoy the feeling of mud as it slipped through my fingers. I enjoyed it so much that I would make huge messes just for the sake of getting that gritty wet feeling. I remember how the sound of my mother’s soothing voice could put me to sleep at the drop of a hat. All different sounds, textures, tastes, smells, and sights were like magic to me. The fact that as I have grown older, have noticed how all of these things slowly lost their hold on me.

I have noticed how I take the tastes of food for granted; shoving things in my mouth without even thinking about if I really enjoy it or not. Just a few days ago as I sat down to eat I thought to myself, there really is no reason rush today so why not just sit and enjoy my food. After thoroughly tasting all my food I realized how weird it was that the sweet and creamy taste of ice cream could change my mood for the better. That day I decided that I was going to tune into my other senses and see what else I have been missing out on. It was beautiful outside so I went for a walk in my neighborhood. That’s when I noticed the sounds of birds chirping and the wind rustling through the trees. And that’s when I noticed that it was those sounds that were rushing the feelings of happiness and relaxation through me. Its moments like these that I have taken for granted since “growing up”. Moments of pure bliss that are gifts from my very own senses.

I believe in taking the time out of everyday to stop and literally smell the roses. It is never to late to start appreciating your senses, they can only get stronger through using them. Every sense is tied to every memory that a person holds. Whether it is the soft touch of their first kiss, the sound of their first concert, or the sight of their child in their first school play. All of these joys come from using our senses, so if people learn to tune into them more imagine the vivid memories that can be created. Take everyday one moment at a time and take the time to enjoy the gifts that our senses give us.