I BELIEVE IN GIVING THE EXTRA PICKLES

Antoinette - Pendleton, Oregon

I BELIEVE IN GIVING THE EXTRA PICKLES

Back when I was a child, getting a McDonald’s hamburger was a fond and rare treat. I recall that the hamburger was always shy on pickles. And in my perspective, as hamburgers go, pickles the proverbial cherry on top of the ice cream.So to savor the experience,I would ever so carefully eat around the outside of my hamburger in an effort to save the best bite – the pickle center – for last. Oh, to enjoy the mouth-watering pickle center. Then one day my taste buds wanted a whole lot of pickles. Without thinking, I was at the counter askingfor more pickles and like a dream come true my hamburger came back with a pickle in every bite. To think, all this time, all I had to do was kindly ask a person, I didn’t even know, for more pickles and I could have them. Ever since, when ordering a hamburger, the young girl inside of me kindly says, “May I have some extra pickles please?” To my surprise, most of the time there are pickles galore. My hamburgers aren’t alwaysrunning over with pickles, because not all hamburger preparers remember my request. Sometimes, I don’t even get the first pickle. If I were to add up all the extra pickles I got just for asking, there would have been more than enough pickles for the hamburgers that came with none.

I must admit, when my hamburger arrives without even the first pickle, it is a disappointment. However, I have happily eaten many a pickle-less hamburger. I have found that what matters most is the manner in which the food server serves my meal and makes me feel. Eating a pickle-stuffed hamburger satisfies more than my hunger for food; it is also feeding my need for the human experience. Oh what a wonderful experience, people asking and giving of each other with kindness.

I love it when my food server makes a special point to fulfill my request. Among the best responses I have experienced is a side dish mounding with pickles even before the hamburger’s arrival. Then there are also those servers who forget the extra pickles, but gladly and promptly provide them. It really isn’t the pickles that matter most to me, but the food server ’s enthusiasm to serve me that makes my dining experience most wonderful. A forgetful, yet kind food server can make even a pickle-less hamburger as tasty as can be. In the end, what I really want is to feel like I matter.

It is my goal, when I humanly can, to help my clients feel like their hamburger is stuffed with pickles. I want them to know that they matter to me. I want them to know that hey do not need to be apprehensive about making a request. I want them to know I will accommodate, happilywhen I can. Whatever it is, what really matters is the spirit in which the request is received.