Believe What You Want

Rob - 06824, Connecticut

I’m a pretty normal kid. I love to play sports. I play lacrosse in the spring and ski during the winter. I extreme bike jump and carve board for fun. Also, while I am a counselor at camp I play Frisbee 24/7. I am very active but my life in the past few years have been unrealistic in some ways. Many years ago my grandpa died from a brain tumor. Unfortunately I was young and I did not get to spend much time with him, or get to become close with him. My grandparents lived in South Carolina then and it was a very far trip for us to go visit. But that all change once we found out he was very ill. I didn’t get to see my grandpa in the same way he always was then because of his tumor, he was different/changed. He seamed a little more out of it and les able to understand things, this was also a cause of the medicine. As a kid I don’t know what to make sense of it. My grandpa had an inner strength that kept him able to try his best even when all odds were against him.

Ever since I read the “I believe essay” by Jake Hovenden I realized that I believed in inner strength too. Inner strength is the same as will power in my book. I believe that everyone has it, but not everyone used it. Inner strength propels you to do everything that you need to do to be successful. Like my parents. My dad stared his own business and is very successful with it. My mom, she’s a whole other story. She got cancer a few years back and that didn’t stop her. Ya I got a way with a few things, but normal jobs she kept doing. For example, after one of her surgeries she came home all tired and sore but an hour later she was vacuuming the floor and cleaning the whole house. Also, last summer I went to China and not even 2 weeks after being back I found out that I had appendicitis meaning I needed to get taken out. I had successful surgeries that would take most people weeks or months to recuperate from but not me. I however had a lifeguarding test at my camp and I had to swim 1.5 miles while my stitches’ were still in!! My doctor said it would be okay for me to do that just as long as I don’t hurt my self.

I also believe in doing what you want to do. When you do what you want to do you enjoy it much more. You also will learn more when you do things you like. I am interested in sports and epically trying out new ones. I stared skim boarding a year ago and I skim board like I have been for a couple years now (or very experienced). I also am on the lacrosse team and I have only been playing for 3 years. Lacrosse is a sport that takes many years to perfect, I’m not there yet. Also, most people have been playing lacrosse for many years, probably since they were little kids. So they had more time to perfect it, but I still and playing more on the team than some of those who have play longer year wise. I also think you should try new things, like food, hobbies, sports, friends, and more. That way you will be more experienced and you will know what you like and don’t like. When you try new things you open yourself to the world and see things in a new way.

There is only one more thing that I believe in. that is that you have to push your self to succeed. If you do not push you self you will not go anywhere in life. Even is every time you push you self you fail. Since you failed you will be stronger the next time you try. The more willing you are to push your self to greater limits the more inclined you are to go further in life, however you want. You create your future. All of the crazy guys that ski and snowboard, surf and skim board, skateboard and skate for a living, that because they disciplined them self’s and they practiced every day. They broke bones scraped knees and swallowed their amount of water and look where they are now.

All of these beliefs are intertwined in some way, and it can be argued that you can’t have one with out the other.

I will tell you this, I go buy my own rules and beliefs and you should to. Don’t listen to anyone who says you can not do it. Beliefs in my opinion always change. Sometimes every day and sometime it takes years. But they will change based on new information or knowledge that you have acquired and experiences that you have. Remember that you make you, and you are the cause in what you believe in.