Dare to Daydream

Maria - Glassboro, New Jersey

Dare to Daydream

In the hustle bustle of life it is sometimes difficult to quiet outside distractions and have a moment to myself to breathe, reflect, and unwind from everyday stressors. Never ending “to-do” lists, unfolded piles of laundry, full dishwashers, and hours of homework, coupled with a lack of money makes it virtually impossible for me to take a much needed vacation or break from the outside world. It wasn’t until recently, though, that I realized taking a vacation or a small break from life doesn’t have to involve packing bags or escaping to an exotic location, in fact, it doesn’t even have to involve leaving my favorite spot on the couch. I believe in daydreaming.

For most people, daydreaming is seen as a unfavorable activity which is distracting and unproductive. I, however, choose to see it differently. I believe daydreaming to be my own form of meditation that balances my mind and alleviates stress. It is said that before written history, hunter-gatherer societies discovered meditation and altered states of consciousness while staring at the flames of the fire. This primitive practice evolved and became a crucial part of many eastern religions. Even now, this spiritual experience is said to relieve stress and achieve mental clarity. So what’s the difference between this ancient practice and daydreaming? In my opinion, there is none.

Like most college students, I enjoy a very social life filled with movie nights, dinner with friends and the expected frequent nights of partying. In fact, having a night to myself has proven to be a more difficult task than finding an activity to occupy my time. Unfortunately, being constantly surrounded by people and things to do isn’t my idea of relaxation. In those moments of the day when I wish I was alone but am not, daydreaming becomes my only substitute when I crave the company of loneliness. It provides me with a few moments of tranquility and calmness to find my place of certain solitude. It is my sanctuary when I yearn for some solace and piece of mind.

As a child in school, I remember teachers continuously “snapping” me back into the moment when I would daze off during class. Thus, for many frustrating years I tried to minimize the frequency of my daydreaming. However, it is now, more than ever, I refuse to stop. I have undoubtedly learned, as I got older, how to focus more in class and on important activities. Yet, I cherish those few moments of the day when no matter what is going on or how many people are around, I can keep my singleness of mind. In fact, it’s a comforting feeling to know that regardless of how stressful my life can get, I can always have something to hold on to that will help me relax. My thoughts. My daydreams. This I believe.