I believe that everyone is judged, no matter who you are.

Liana - Fairfield, Connecticut

Judgment day doesn’t happen once every year, it happens everyday. No, I’m not talking about the religious judgment day, but I’m talking about when people judge others. Judgment is forming an opinion or an evaluation by comparing. Day after day people are judged on their looks, their personalities, the way they act, what they say, and even who their friends are. Judgment is unavoidable and happens to everyone. People will automatically judge even though they don’t know you. I believe that everyone is judged, no matter who you are.

In my past experiences I’ve seen friendships torn apart, promises broken, tears here and there, and judgment is to blame. Last year my best friend and I found a new group of friends, but after several months she didn’t like them anymore. My best friend was tired of them because they didn’t meet her expectations and she didn’t care about them. Their friendly connections shattered, and she started to judge them one by one. Her thoughts and her judgments about them were written in a message that was never meant to be read. Eventually the girls read this message. Arguments exploded, which led to immense problems. My best friend detached herself from the group and she figured that I would go after her. After all, I had been her friend since kindergarten. The problem at the time was that I didn’t know what to do.

Not everyone at my school liked these girls and I didn’t really know why, but I started being judged when I was with them. Even though someone didn’t know me, I was still being judged just because these girls were my friends. I was considered odd, but I was completely different from them. We liked different things and we had completely different personalities, but we still had fun together. The people who didn’t like these girls stopped saying hi to me, and eventually stopped talking to me. My best friend was angry that I was still friends with them and decided to replace me with someone else. I was still being judged, even by my best friend, but after a while I got used to it.

It can hurt when someone will judge you because of something, but when it happens over and over again, you can use your inner strength to fight it and not let it settle in your mind. Once the negative thoughts settle in your mind, you will start believing them and you might even feel insecure about yourself. What I learned from this experience is to use your inner strength and don’t let the judgments get to you, because you can be stronger than that. You know better than to believe the negative comments because you know who you are and you should be proud of who you are. I believe that everyone is judged, no matter who you are, but I also believe that deep inside you can find a way to block those judgments and just be yourself because that’s the best thing about you.