An Infidel’s Creed

Anthony - Phoenix, Arizona

My beliefs are simple. I don’t go to church, I don’t really find the need to pray, and I’m not sure if god is real. But I try to do what’s right and enjoy life. I have an open mind and I’m curious about people and their religious beliefs. I don’t have a religion but I wouldn’t label myself as an atheist either. I am an Infidel, which is someone who doesn’t believe in religion.

When I come across a Catholic, Christian or anyone who says they belong to a specific creed, I ask them questions. I might ask them simple things like, “how often do you pray?” or complex questions like, “what makes your religion the right religion?” These are often questions that they simply can’t answer and I don’t ask to prove them wrong or insult their beliefs but if I decide to dedicate myself to a religion like they have, I feel I should know everything there is to know about it.

The majority of my family is Catholic. My father would take me to his church and I remember never wanting to go. He would tell me that when I’m with him, I was Catholic. At the time, I was 8 years old but I didn’t think I should be told what religion I belonged to. I told him “I’m not Catholic and I don’t like going to church.” He didn’t get angry but he continued to tell me I was Catholic. In church, I never really paid attention, I saw going to church as a chore. But maybe most kids at that age did.

I’ve heard and seen people argue over religion, trying to prove that their beliefs were the correct beliefs. They may even see the other person to be bad or ignorant just because they don’t share the same religion. To think your way is the only right way and that anyone who doesn’t share the same beliefs is unacceptable is a simpleton.

Does religion help people? I think it does. Some people find answers for their problems in the Bible or feel better when they confess their sins. Whatever makes one happy, I suppose. Are you less likely to do bad things if you go to church? Does believing in god make you a better person? If it does, then am I not as good of a person as a Catholic or Christian?

I believe in doing what’s right and religion has nothing to do with how much of a good person you are.