Living Life As It Comes

Christian - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

I’m a 17 year old student who lives in the present, not the past or future. I live life as it comes. When I was about eight years old, I remember I wanted to get older and fast. There was no possible way to do it. Time just kept going and it seemed that it went extremely slow. I wanted to do all the things “big people” do: go to “R” movies without getting caught, go to the Circle K around the corner without being with your older brother, and drive a car without a Playstation 2 controller in your hands. I remember when I was nine, my dad and I were going to my tia’s house. On our way over there he asked me if I knew how to drive. I laughed and told him “Pues si es como en los juegos, soy un experto.” (Well if it’s like in the video games, I’m an expert) He laughed and said, “Aver, vamos a ver que tan bueno heres en los juegos.” (Lets see how good you are in the video games.) He took me to an empty street and just got out. Since I was too short I had to adjust the seat and change the rearview mirrors. I asked him, “Pa donde quieres que maneje?” (Where do you want me to drive to?) He told me, “Pa donde tu quieras nomas que no nos mates.” (Wherever you want to as long as you don’t get us killed) Oh man, did I laugh because I was pretty sure I was going to kill us. I put it into drive, gave it a little gas and was on my way going from 0-25 mph in 15 seconds. He said, “Oh pues algo bueno biene de jugar ese huego por horas veda?” (Oh well something good comes from playing that game for hours, huh?) and laughed. I told him, “Claro que si, mira nomas que tan bueno soy!” (Of course, Look how good I am!) I made a u-turn to head back to where we had stopped to give him back the truck. I pulled into a warehouse entrance to make the turn and went again to the road without checking my rearview mirror. All of a sudden I heard a huge horn blast right behind us. I looked back and there was a big semi coming towards us. Oh man, did I ever get scared. I just slammed on the gas. That time I went from 0-60 in 9 seconds. After I had cleared that near death experience, I pulled over and got out. I told my dad I was never going to drive again.

I’m seventeen and I’ve been driving since I was nine. I get into Rated-R movies, and I go to the Circle K around the corner without my older brother. Now that I’m that age I want to be young again. My point is that you need to live life in the present, not in the future or the past, because you won’t enjoy the present. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t forget my past either because it reminds me of the mistakes I’ve made like not looking in my rearview mirror. I also think about my future, but I live in the present and enjoy every single second of it.