Claudia - PHOENIX, Arizona

How do you really treat others? Everyone says that we should live by the “Golden Rule.” The truth is that the people telling you this don’t really follow the rule either. Everyone judges and gossips, it doesn’t matter what you were taught as a kid. People treat others the way they want.

I remember when it was my first day of high school. I walked into class and headed for the back. Once the last bell rang, the teacher introduced herself to the class and looked around the room. She told us that she could tell what kind of students we were by where we sat. I knew she meant that the bad kids are in the back and the good kids in the front. I knew by the way she looked at us in the back that she was going to treat us differently. So the next day I went to get that class switched because I didn’t want her to treat me bad just because of where I sat.

Yeah, I know I should treat people the way I want them to treat me, but that won’t change their minds about how they treat me. Everyone has his or her own opinion on who’s who and how to treat them, and I think it’s because of all the gossip and judgment that goes around.

I know it’s wrong to judge people before you know them, but sometimes you just can’t help it. I hear stories about a person and all that gossip makes me dislike that person. Has that ever happen to you? Well, I think that happens to everyone. Anyway, I just wish people wouldn’t care about all the material things that make us judge. I’m pretty sure that this wish is one that will never happen.

My life motto is “Who cares.” Who cares about the Golden Rule? I know I don’t. Why should we treat people the way we want to be treated, if they won’t treat us the way they want to be treated? It doesn’t matter what anyone says, it’s human nature to judge, and this rule thing won’t change anything. This rule is taught to just about everyone in the world, so why doesn’t anyone follow the “Rule?”

I believe that judgment influences our actions. It plays a very big role in our minds. Judgment makes us do things that aren’t always right. I know it’s wrong, but I don’t think it’s all that bad. Some people need attitude adjustments. So if we treat them the way we want to be treated, it will get thrown in our faces. This is something I truly believe.