Humane Hunting

William - Fairfield, Connecticut

Humane Hunting

Throughout the United States, the overpopulation of specific “pests” causes problems for both the people living in the area and for the animals themselves. The main problem facing the animals is starvation. Consequently, they have to scavenge for food, going beyond the safety of the woods. Some are injured by hunters while others are struck by cars. The fortunate die instantly, but others linger for hours and sometimes for days in excruciating pain, dying deaths too horrible to imagine.

These animals are not the only victims though. Humans also suffer because of this infestation. People have been injured and even killed in car accidents as they try to avoid these creatures. Diseases associated with these “pests” also cause problems for both humans and their pets. Deer, for example, are found in vast numbers throughout New England, and although appreciated by many for their beauty, agility, and disposition, are identified by some as the dominant “pests” in this area.

I believe a humane way to control the deer population is necessary and suggest the removing all limits on hunting deer. The removal of such limitations would ultimately result in the survival of the fittest of the species. Limitations, as they currently exist, not only hurt the deer, but they also hurt the whole ecosystem. More specifically, deer overpopulate the forest and consequently move closer to civilization. Increased deer population directly affects the species food needs. So what do they eat? In the forest, they eat native plants, parts of trees, and grass. However, when this food supply becomes exhausted, they are forced to eat from people’s gardens, lawns, and shrubs. This causes destruction of many plants native to the New England area.

My belief concerning controlling the deer population stems form the death of a good family friend a few years ago. A doe jumped out in front of his car in broad daylight. His car was demolished, and he was killed instantly. Unfortunately, accidents of this sort are becoming more common as the deer population, out of necessity, ventures beyond the woods. In fact, I read an article in The New York Times last week which indicated that there are approximately eight accidents a day involving cars and deer. Thus, if we kill off the excessive deer population, the remaining deer would be less inclined to venture beyond the forest because they could meet their food needs within their natural home, and fewer accidents would occur.

Many people feel that over time the deer issue will sort itself out. While I believe this is true, it is a problem that can, without intervention such as removing hunting limits on deer, only become worse before it becomes better.