I Believe In Work

Mary - Mercer Island, Washington
Themes: work

I Believe In Work

I believe in work and the ability of everyone, at every age, to reap the rewards of meaningful concentrated labor. From the young child whose patience and persistence learning to play violin are rewarded with the applause of a first recital, to the old woman in the swimming pool working to regain some movement in the side of her body left paralyzed by a stroke. In between is the joy of the teenager bagging groceries after school while dreaming of buying his first car. Later on, work brings with it, the pride of the college freshman who has learned to balance laundry and a checkbook with classes and study. The newly graduated college student works with guarded optimism, while chafing under the yolk of a first “real” job. Young parents struggle with exhaustion; wondrously watching their babies change and grow. In a few short years these parents will look back in amazement at the whirl of attention, discipline, cooking and driving that defined their life while their children were young. Meanwhile, the children are working too. They are busy performing the repetitious labor involved in learning how to walk and talk. They will perfect their ability to work in school, learning social skills as well as the academic ones.

I am now at an age where I have begun to reap the benefits of the hard work that has shaped and informed my life. Years of building have provided me with a beautiful home, while the seemingly endless chores of parenting have yielded two delightful young adults. The demands of my job have slowly evolved into a comfortable routine, and I’ve learned to ignore some household chores, some of the time. I believe in work, and know that without it, the joy of a Sunday morning in bed would not be so sweet. So I sit here, sipping my coffee, watching the birds darting around in the maple trees, and I think how lucky I am to have a whole day off from work.