One Country, Many Different Cultures

Madeline - Rancho Santa Fe, California

One Country, Many Different Cultures

I believe in seeing America for what it really is.

Racism exists in the United States, it is a fact. But why this is I have no idea, because if you think about it the U.S. is just combined cultures, because all of our ancestors came from somewhere else in the world.

When people started being racist in the United States it had been in the nineteenth century. No one knows how racism started exactly, but people do know that it spread like gossip goes through a school. Fast and no one ever leaves it alone.

Unlike many people I have a broad selection of the places I am from: Italy, France, England, Poland, Ireland, and Germany. I also have a huge percentage of friends who are from parts of Asia and Mexico. So I have been on two sides, where people were talking down to me or hearing people trash my friends. Either way, it hurts. Yet I still don’t get this senseless talk. I am tired of hearing people say: “I have to stand up for my country, and this is what they would do.” Or hearing the repetitive saying of “My parents are racist, why shouldn’t I be?”

One thing that gets to me, that one thing, is when people are judged for their color. I am not only talking one race here, no I am talking about everyone. When I go to San Jose, California to visit my dad’s family I am constantly looked up and down by someone of a different pigment. When they look at me the see what color I am and they assume that I am stuck up and am racist.

My mom would tell me stories of when she lived in Detroit, Michigan and had to walk to and from school at the age of ten. She would glance at someone of a different color and then they would charge at her, chasing her in some crazy direction until she could loose them by hiding in an alley. All this, because of one look.

I believe in fighting racism. People look me up and down, and I get mad. They are caught up in racism and don’t look at people for who they are as a person. I challenge you to take a look at the real world and someone for who they are, not because of what race they are.