How I’m able to Live Life Twice

Paul - Ann Arbor, Michigan

How I’m able to Live Life Twice

When I open my wallet today and see $52.00; my life savings, how can I be so

happy? Acceptance of my disease has given me a second chance at life. Alcoholism and

drug addiction took almost everything from me, however through acceptance; I’ve been

giving a second chance at living with a whole new outlook on each and every day.

I’m 47 years old and thought I knew everything. I grew up in a great household-

mother and father, graduated from a great high school, had excellent careers; umpired in

baseball, manager in sales, basically I had it all. Alcohol and cocaine, in no particular

order were my drugs of choice. On a good day I used, on a bad day I used, if it ended in

day I used. I had no problem I always told myself, it was someone else who had the

problem, not me.

So as my life spiraled out of control, the arrests, the fines, the failures, the lying,

the cheating, the stealing where was I going? Somehow God introduced me to Chaplin

Jim Proos and he introduced me to God. Now I don’t consider myself religious, however

I am truly a very spiritual person because I understand today I run nothing. Only my

higher power runs the show and what I try to do today is show and help others that if I

can change so can they. Change is all around us, it’s that one constant.

Since December 26th, 2005 I’ve been sober and I’m so grateful that I can share a

small portion of my story. This is being written so I can help someone else who might be

struggling in their addiction and maybe give them a second chance like the one I’ve been

so freely given. Remember, we came to believe that we were powerless over alcohol,

that our lives became unmanageable. This is the first step of Alcoholics Anonymous,

which is a great recovery program. I’ve found it to be a pretty simple program, they tell

to change one little thing, EVERYTHING.