Jorge - Phoenix, Arizona

As I was growing up, going into elementary school and getting use to the responsibilities that come with it, my mom always told me to persevere in everything I did. Homework was one of the big issues I had going into my third grade class. One of the first things my mom would ask when I got home from school was whether or not I had homework and most of the time I did. At first I would do all of it because my mom would always encourage me to do my homework and give me rewards if I was well behaved but it did not always happen that way. As I got older and started middle school I stopped doing all my work and would procrastinate most of the time.

My parents no longer constantly told me to do my homework because they figured out it was up to me. But I didn’t do it. Going to school was no longer a learning experience for me but more of a fun experience where all I was going for was to be with friends and get in trouble. My grades had always been good and I always wanted that but I did not work to keep it that way in middle school. I graduated middle school as salutatorian and could have been valedictorian. When my parents checked my report cards they noticed a change in my grades and it was not a good change.

My parents were somewhat disappointed because my grades were not all A’s and they were more like B’s and C’s. Soon they had a talk with me, which I knew was coming as soon as I saw the report card in my mom’s hand. They sat with me and asked why I was not doing well in school. I really had no reason but just procrastinating and not realizing that it was important to keep my grades up. Then my dad told me something that had slipped my mind all this time. My job was not to get good grades so that my parents would give me rewards but it was to get good grades so that I would be prepared to go into high school and than university.

But what did all this teach me? Even though I though high school was going to be a new beginning, I was soon back in the same position of not taking it seriously but I did most of the work. I was getting mostly B’s and A’s but knew I could do better. Perseverance is what all this taught me. If I had been consistent in doing my work I would have had better grades. I believe in perseverance. What my father had told me turned out to be really important for me to realize the importance of being willing to finish something I start and to do it correctly. Now that I learned that the hard way I can use it in my everyday life.