Parents

Fernando - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe that my parents know what’s best for me but as teenagers we don’t want to acknowledge that is true because we want to everything according to our agenda, we think we know what is best for ourselves.

I had to learn the hard way .It was difficult for me during this time but I thought I was ready for it. I was always fighting with my father not listing to His rules always disobeying them. I thought I was ready to live on my own, but I found out I wasn’t. I’ve always thought that my parents were just people that wanted to control my life but I have come to my senses. But I had never looked at my life through my parents’ perspective. Now that I have to live my life on my own, I found out that life is harder than it was when I was living with my parents. I understand what I did to them and I finally realized that I disrespected them.

Now I try to be respectful to individuals who are older than me. The thing that made me realize all this is the day I moved out of my parents’ house at the age of seventeen, I didn’t know what to do or were to go. I was supposed to spend the day with my girlfriend. She picked me up and I told her what had happened. We went to her house and she told her mom what happened. After a few hours, her mom told me that I could stay with them but in another room. I thanked her. I thought everything was going to be all right. Later on I had to find ways to get home from school. It was further away from home. It was hard for me to leave. As I was living there I learned that my parents’ did what they did for my benefit, not for their own. They didn’t really achieve anything by me staying there, but they did it any way out of love.

As I lay down every night I wonder if I just done as my parents told me to do, that I would have been doing better in my life. Now that I Have over come this hardship for me I now understand that my parent are here for a reason, that is to keep me out of trouble, keep me out of harms way, to put me through school, be there for me when I need help, and most of to show me the they always have. Just that I’ve never seen it the love they always shown me it was right in front of me but as an immature teenager I didn’t take the time to see it. Now as I took the time to understand and grow up just a little bit I now understand. Now that I don’t live at home any more I listen to my Parent more than I did living with them. I’d like to thank my parents for being there for me even though I put them through hard times and they always there to comfort me. I believe we have parent for a reason and that is so they can guide us. This I Believe