The Right Thing

Fabian - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: integrity

I believe in doing what is right. I live by this belief everyday. It is very important that I do this because I wont feel right. I believe it is what everyone should live by and that everyone would feel better. They would have a clean conscience.

It was about 5 years ago when I was thirteen and I was at the store with my parents when I saw a man drop $50. I picked it up looked around and did not say anything. I knew that it was wrong but I still put it in my pocket. Later when we were about to leave, I saw the man again. I decided to go and give him the money he dropped because I didn’t feel right if I kept it. He was very pleased that I returned the money to him and to my surprise even gave me five dollars as a reward. He said that he had lost money before but that this was the first time that someone had returned it to him. He thanked me one more time and left. I was glad that I returned the money to him because I knew I had done the right thing. If I had not returned the money I think that I would have felt guilty for a long time. Knowing that I had someone else’s property and knowing that I could have returned it would have made me feel even worse.

If everyone were to live by this belief then the world would be a far better place. I know the chances of this happening are very small, but still it’s a thought. No one is perfect and we all have our principles and beliefs, and I feel that we should stick to those principles and beliefs. We are taught to stick to them by our parents and older people because they know that it will make you a better person. I thank my parents for teaching me about doing the right thing. I wonder what kind of person I would be if I didn’t live by this.