I believe in Laughter

Claudia - Floral Park, New York

I believe in the power of laughter.

Mostly when my daughter laughs, she laughs so genuinely and uncontrollably at first I get angry because it is usually over dinner or something. Then I look at her red faced mouth wide open and I can’t help but laughing. We have laughed so much in my house that one or two of my children have thrown up. It is ridiculous. Mostly when I look back at these times, I just call them silly. However the other day my oldest son 9, after one of these ridiculous laughing fits we got into over my daughter laughing said “we haven’t laughed that much since the summer”, which is over 6 months ago. I couldn’t help to realize that he had remembered vividly the last time and he enjoyed it so much. I felt bad that I don’t let go more often than that. I’m so busy trying to finish things in the evening that I can’t stop and laugh at the silliness that goes on.

I remember when I was a kid growing up we used to get together in my cousins kitchen and tell jokes, either “your mama” jokes or other sophomoric jokes. I was never really good at it, but we used to laugh so hard that my stomach would hurt.

The other day I was speaking to my father-in-law about why I married my husband 15 years ago and I said because he was funny. I had dated a lot of people and most of them bored me after a few weeks. But my husband still makes me laugh today.

Just yesterday I went to a wake of an old friend’s brother and I was shocked on how many people were laughing and even the deceased mother said “smile your on candid camera”. In this Irish family everyone was at ease and laughing even at the funeral of a loved one.

I find it is the people who can laugh in the face of anything, a wonderful and refreshing gift. I will try to stop and laugh more.