Live Each Day Like It Was Your Last

K.J. - 10293, Florida
Themes: carpe diem

Live Each Day Like It Was Your Last

I believe in living each day like it was your last.

When I was four years old, I was afraid of everything. I refused to go on elevators because I was scared the elevator might get stuck. I was afraid to fall asleep because I thought somebody might kidnap me in the middle of the night. I never looked under my bed because I was scared there were monsters under it.

One very hot day, my dad suggested that we go to the beach, but I begged him not to make me go because I was afraid I’d get skin cancer.

“KJ, the chances of that happening are one in a million.” My dad laughed.

“But what if I’m that one?” I asked nervously.

“Stop KJ, this is stupid. Now go upstairs and get ready for the beach.” My dad answered with a bossy tone.

I gave him one of those you – don’t – know – what – you’re – talking – about looks and angrily stomped up the stairs.

After about five minutes, I came back down to the kitchen. My dad took a long look at me. I was wearing a hooded sweater and sweat pants. Anything that looked like skin was covered.

“It’s eighty-nine degrees outside and you’re going to go to the beach in that?” my dad said with a surprised look on his face.

“Yeah.” I answered with an attitude.

I gave him a look that said, “MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!”

“You can’t live your life in a box, son. What if the sky falls tomorrow? What if the sun goes down tonight and never comes back up?” My dad asked.

That’s when it hit me. We can ask ourselves “What if?” our entire lives but we will never know what could have happened if we didn’t live a sheltered life. We will just wonder and ask ourselves one question. “What could have happened?”

You can’t live your life in a box. Live each day like it was your last. Life is too short to be anything but happy.