Taking Risks to Find What You are looking for

Camerine - Rancho Santa Fe, California
Themes: sports

I believe in taking risks.

I have made many changes in my sports life. About four years ago I was a full time gymnast. I loved it. We began learning back tucks, followed by aerials and layouts. I would have a blast tumbling down the springy floor. Even though the harsh cardio exercises would burn out my body, I would still give it my all. Then my team progressed into learning our competition routines. This is when I got nervous. At the same time had been attending technique classes at a dance studio. I soon realized that what I was going through might not be worth it. It was taking over all my time. I then figured out that gymnastics was most definitely an all or nothing sport.

After relinquishing from gymnastics, I wanted to give volleyball a shot. Although my size was deceiving, I actually got pretty good at it. But juggling between dance and volleyball was pretty hard, just like gymnastics. After two years of club volleyball, I realized I wasn’t completely in love with it. I wanted to test myself, and try something new.

Soon, as I turned the corner to a new year of school and sports, I went to my annual registration for dance classes at my studio. My instructors told me I should try out for competition teams. I remembered that whenever I watched the competition dancers, I would say things like, “ I wish I could do that,” or “ Oh, wow, she must be really committed to dance.” The tryouts were the next day. I had one night to think through my entire year. I went to that tryout. Now I am participating in three competition teams: Lyrical, Jazz, and Hip-Hop.

Even though I was uncertain about the decision I had just made, I think it was the best one I had made yet. Dancing fits my personality 10x more than the other sports I tried. James Thurber once said, “You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward.” I learned that change could turn out great if you just give it a chance. If you are willing to try, you will find what you are looking for. If you don’t want to risk it, you will always wonder what could have happened.