I Believe That My Grandmother is a Survivor.

Patty - Ringgold, Georgia
Themes: family, illness

My granddaddy died in 2002 from Mesothelioma. His death left my grandmother in shock, and looking for answers. She wanted to stay in the house all day, and never wanted to leave. Staying inside all day caused her to feel a sudden urge to change everything in her house. She hired an interior decorator, and the two of them started remodeling. She remodeled her closet, kitchen, dining room, and living room. She even had a pool house built to complement her pool.

My grandmother now suffers from a disease known as Dementia. Dementia is the deterioration of intellectual faculties, such as memory, concentration, and judgment. Emotional disturbance and personality changes can also accompany Dementia. The doctors said that my granddaddy’s death was so traumatic that it caused her to break down inside. Therefore, she cannot remember how to perform certain simple everyday tasks. She also cannot remember simple facts of information. For example, her telephone number, her address, family member’s birthdays, and where she ate lunch. Even though she knows her diagnosis, she does not let that stop her from having a cheerful life.

I feel that I am obligated, as my grandmother’s only granddaughter, to take care of her. However, it is not a huge obligation because I enjoy being around her. I take pleasure in visiting her, and helping her out. I organize her medicine that she has to take every morning and night. I take her to the drug store to refill her prescriptions when they are empty, take her to the grocery store once a week, take her to get her mail at the post office, take her to the hair salon, and take her shopping at the mall. I also try to eat lunch with her at least two to three times a week.

My grandmother has lived a long, prosperous, and difficult life. I do not know what I would do if my husband of forty-seven years died. I would probably think about giving up, staying at home, or even committing suicide. My grandmother’s diagnosis did not stop her from trying to rebuild a happy lifestyle, and that is what it takes to be a survivor.