The Most Memorable Breakfast

Zachary - Rhinelander, Wisconsin

Throughout my life I have experienced and enjoyed multiple different types of breakfasts, but one breakfast seems to reign over all others, and I believe the donut is the best breakfast in the world simply because it has been there with me in all of the important events in my life. When I think back to the early stages of my life the donut has brought my family together more than any other breakfast foods, it has the power to cheer up people with problems on their minds. And no other breakfast helps me remember all the good times that have passed and are sure to come around again.

I can still vaguely remember the first time I ever had a donut. It was early summer and I couldn’t have been more than five years old. It was at the time of my life when I always woke up early in the morning. At my dad’s house my Uncle Gary walked through the door carrying a large rectangular box. Uncle Gary was one of those crazy family members who would always spoil you and be the center of attention. The box was from Trig’s and was white with the plastic window on top so you could see through the top of it and enjoy the many colors of yellow, blue, green, and red of the sprinkles and call “Dibs” on the one that makes your mouth begin to water. My uncle said to me, “Zacky have you ever had a donut?” When I said no, he told me I was “in for a treat.” He pulled out a large Long-John with white frosting and rainbow sprinkles of blue and orange. After the first bite I was hooked for life and begged my parents for donuts every time Sunday rolled around.

Family gatherings are a large part of my life. It always seems like someone is coming up or we are going down for a week and whenever I hear that, donuts instantly pop into my head. In my family, we often have home cooked meals for every occasion, which are prepared by the usual people. Often, to give the cooks a needed break, we take care of breakfast by grabbing a couple dozen donuts from the nearest grocery store. A hectic scene that is, as we take orders from everyone who wants specific types of donuts such as custard-filled and glazed. Nothing brings me and my family together quite like donuts do.

Another event happened when my brother had left for college and I had gotten the car. It had been a rough week after getting grounded from TV and Xbox for bad grades, having to start to pay for my own gas, and realizing that my brother had taken all my good movies with him to college. So needless to say, I was in a bad mood when my mom started nagging to me about every little thing, I thought I was about to snap. Luckily, it was the weekend and I had no homework and lots of Christmas money left over. So, I gassed up the car and drove to the nearest grocery store, Trigs, to grab some donuts and try to calm down. Thirty minutes and three donuts later, I had forgotten all about my problems and worries and was happy as I could be. Ever since then I always go buy donut the Saturday after a stressful and unhappy week.

Another reason in which the donut is the best breakfast in the world is it reminds me of a few beloved relatives who have passed on over the years. I remember a series of events which took place when I was very small. In the summer, years back, when my Grandpa Tom was alive, he would baby-sit my brother, my sister, and I. And every time he babysat us we would walk to my Great-Uncle Dick’s house, which was a trip we always enjoyed and anticipated. The reason of course being because he would always have chocolate donuts for us to eat. That is by far one of my fondest memories of my childhood and it helps remember all the good times I’ve had with Grandpa Tom and Great-Uncle Dick.

Is this a pointless belief? I don’t know and truthfully feel that decision is for you to decide. Throughout my life donuts have had a positive influence on me and others around me and given me some form of happiness. The donut has created numerous strange, memorable, and great stories over the years. Whether it be by bringing my family together, cheering me up, or reminding me of a beloved relative, donuts have helped me and given me joy. To me the donut is great for creating memories and when you need a good pick-me-up the donut can make you happy with its delicious taste and by reminding you of some of your most cherished memories. Out of all the breakfasts I have experienced and probably ever will experience, I believe none of them will live up to my expectations and take the donut’s place in my eyes as the world’s best breakfast.