Above & Beyond

Tommy - phoenix, Arizona

People will always have the ability to do better than the statistics say they can do, it all depends on the person. Something I believe is the possibility that everyone can set a standard for themselves and either go above and beyond that standard, settle at that standard or fall below it.

I am not the kind of person that will transcend my own standards, unless it is something that I really believe in. Right now I can honestly say I am doing better in school than earlier this year. Even though I am still failing two of my classes, I am doing better. In my mind it is okay because I figure I can fix it later even though I know that it will be harder to do so. The classes that really matter, to me I am doing well in because they are important to me.

To me everything can be fixed. Anything that can be broken or destroyed can be fixed or made into something else. That is why I have no problem letting things go bad, like my classes. The classes that I am failing are my history class and my English class – the two things that should come easiest to me because reading is second nature to me. So it should be real easy to go above and beyond but it is that mentality that holds me back.

It never occurred to me what kind of situations it put my teachers, friends, and family in when I do the things that come natural to me. When I procrastinate and let things build up to a point that it so difficult to finally finish it not only hurts me but everyone around me. It really doesn’t bother me until I really think about it.

I really want to change and be able to go above and beyond my own personal standards and beliefs, but it is difficult to change something that you have been doing for your whole life. I want to extend an apology to my friends, family, and teachers that I have ever hurt or caused problems.