This I Believe:Nature

Crystal - Harrison, Michigan
Themes: environment

Growing up, I was surrounded by nature. I never lived in a large city or subdivision. We always had trees in our yard and the woods were never far away. But, times are changing. Human kind is killing all our natural surroundings through pollution and expansion. I believe we need to stop hurting nature or it will hurt us by fighting back.

Living in Michigan, it’s not hard to picture wildlife. It’s everywhere you look. Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Or, at least, I think so. We have the Great Lakes, waterfalls, mountains, forests, etc. The list could go on forever. What I do not understand is why people want to ruin something so beautiful. Contractors are constantly building and taking away the natural resources that have always been here. Sidewalks and buildings can never replace trees. People are constantly leaving their garbage everywhere. Factories and gasoline are killing the air. Michigan is not the only place that is being affected. Look at California. There are countless disasters every year because there is so much harm being done. There are fires, mudslides, earthquakes, and so much more that is damaging that state. I believe that because of all the destruction we humans are wreaking on the world, nature has finally had enough and is fighting back. We have global warming going on and who knows what else, but we just ignore it and keep on messing it up more.

My mom always taught me to take care of nature. Littering was forbidden and Earth Day was always celebrated. I remember planting trees when I was little and would be in awe of everything I saw around me. For the first few short years of my life, we lived in the U.P. Even though we moved around a lot, we always lived near wooded areas. We still do, although I now live in a completely different part of Michigan than I did when I was five. So, I cannot imagine what it is like without trees and being surrounded by pavement. I do not want that kind of existence.

It makes me sad that people are forgetting to give back to the earth. Eventually, there will be nothing left if we continue to abuse it as we are doing now. Why is it so hard to give back when we have as much to give as we take away? The world only has so much to offer us and we need to stop taking advantage of it.