I Believe in Hope

Misty - Harrison, Michigan
Themes: illness

I Believe in Hope

“Never let go of hope. One day you will see that it all has finally come together. What you have wished for has finally come to be. You will look back and laugh at what has passed and you will ask yourself…’How did I get through that?’” Thich Nhat Hanh said this and they’re right. Hope will get us through each day and through many problems. If every body believed in hope than life would become easier to handle.

When I was two in a half, I was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. The doctors told my parents that I could one day wake up and be paralyzed for the rest of my life. They also said that I might have JRA for the rest of my life and that it might get worse. A year afterwards, my father died leaving my mom to take care of a child with a disease. Practically hope was holding us together then.

Over the years my mom never gave up hope on me. My JRA was still active and going between well and worse. Some days I would be fine and others I would have a flare up. We never knew what my life would bring. My mom would have trouble finding a job that went along with my schedule of therapy being three times a weak and my Ann Arbor appointments, she never did. Life wasn’t perfect nor was it terrible. Even though life was rough for us, we made through it.

Things started to get better when I entered the middle school. I found out that my arthritis wasn’t active for the time being, I was making honor roll, and that my mom got a job at my school, which they could follow my current schedule. Also during this time, I had to go through surgery on my knees. My whole family hoped that when it was over, I would be able to move more. With their hope things turned out for the good. When all this happened, life became easier on us and happier. And things have been since even though we have some rough spots we get through.

When I look back at my life, I see that hope was always there and that it made things that seemed impossible, possible. My family never lost hope even though I still have JRA; we still hope that I will grow out of it. Since my last doctor’s appointment, I found out that I may not need to take too many medications and that I have a better chance of growing out of it. I believe that hope is the main thing that kept my mom and me going though life without my father and with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hope also made things come together in fantastic.