Miles - Rancho Santa fe, California
Themes: change

I believe in not fearing change, because if you fear change you fear your own advancement.

Lest year I visited my grandma’s house in one of the greatest cities. San Francisco. I hate the sound of her scratchy voice coming from the couch, the rapping of her clammy wrinkled hands on her 1950’s furniture. She always talks to me in that lecturing manner, going on and on about, “in my day”. But that one day I didn’t let it slide. I turned to her and said.

“The sixties were great grandma but what are you doing now.”

“Making sure you don’t make the same mistake and get scared of new technology.”

My grandma taught me taught me something that day in San Fran— to not fear change. That is why I believe in the advancement of technology.

Sure in 1950 the trolley car was the newest thing, but that doesn’t mean you should fear the new bullet train, or hip-hop for the sole reason that it’s new. When you continue to create new things you lay the foundation for things to come. Which in turn, expands the horizon for the next generation of people and improve humanity as a whole.

Change is the way forward. Saying we shouldn’t try to change or improve something is stopping yourself from reaching your full potential, and are getting in the way of other people who are not afraid of change. To fear change is to fear progress, and to fear progress is to fear living. So if you were change-a-phobic, you would probably be dead.

Change is easier for some people than others. I can learn something new in school in a few hours. The old person next door however is so set in their ways they might take a few days for them to even try and learn something new.

There are always those who think that change will destroy what we have, but the truth is that fearing it will not only cause what you have to slowly slip away. You don’t want to lose what you have; you want to make it better, worth more, more valuable. Just don’t let it sit there untouched and unchanged. The fact is that adapting to change is what has meant our survival as a species. We would have died out 100,000 years ago if we hadn’t embraced change with open arms. Fearing fire or fearing an arrow head because you don’t want to have to change your lifestyle to adapt to this new technology. You would die without change.

I believe in not fearing change, as it is the way forward. The thing about change is that it never looks back, only forward, to the future of the world.