Shari - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

I believe that although my husband and I were the only ones in the house the day we heard the news that our son was dead, the house was full of… what? Spirits, help from the other side, our son, God, his son? Too many things happened that day that can not be explained away by coincidence. All of my life I’ve “known” that I was not alone, that there was more to this world than met the eye, but there is never proof of these things.

It was early morning, we were both sound asleep, our kids were with family for the Labor Day weekend. I never heard the phone ring; when I woke my husband was already talking to someone. But I knew I knew what the conversation was about more than he or the person he was talking to did. I had just woken from a dream in which someone had told me that Mike my son was being taken. The exact words were, “we’re taking Mike now”, and I had watched him go. When my husband hung up the phone I asked who he had been talking to. He said, “That was your sister, there’s been an accident”. I said, “I know, Mike’s dead”. My husband reacted with anger at me saying, “She didn’t say that she just said there had been an accident. She didn’t really know anything; she’s going to call back in a few minutes.” He was furious at me for making the statement. My husband doesn’t talk much about these things, if you ask him all that he’ll say is, “she knew, I don’t know how she knew but she knew”.

I did know and I still know there is more to this world than meets the eye and it is your choice to look into it or turn away from it. This I more than believe, I know! But I still have no physical proof, people believe me or they don’t. God doesn’t give proof to get you to look, but after you look he gives you assurance that you have found what you were looking for.

My resolve at times irritates people; they want me to admit that there is no way I could know for sure. Their resolve concerns me; it worries me that we are moving toward being a society that has no room for the possibility of things unseen, that spirituality is for the simple minded. It concerns me that we are teaching our children through the sciences and education system that there is no mystery that everything can be explained by science. And that we have already found the answers, no point to looking any further. This I believe is a dangerous practice, this I believe will come back to haunt us. I’m glad Mike knew there was a God and that, that God allowed me to say good bye to my child.