If Prayer Is Ironic, Will It Rust?

Matthew - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: humanism

When people sit down at the dinner table and thank their God for a meal that they are about to eat, not to mention their health, are they not also inadvertently implicating God for the misfortune of others?

The irony in thanking God for your food and good health is that throughout the world, God will allow a child to die of hunger every five seconds. Are we, the more fortunate people, more pious? Do we blame those children for not praying, for not understanding their worship obligations?

Food is the result of a person’s labor as compensation. The volume of food is a result of geographical, social, and economical variables. Therefore, do not thank God for your fortune. Instead, Thank yourself and of course, perhaps, your family and friends and know that you are just lucky enough to have the right variables.

Finally, If you think suffering and evil are proof that God works in mysterious ways, then there is absolutely no way to unravel and understand the mystery and contradiction that is the Bible, For it is a complete waste of time. Seeing the good in evil only deprives evil of its true and real character. Rejoice in the fact that you are alive, and do not rely on God to help others. You, my fellow human, are in a better position to help than that of false hope which God gives the imagination.