Good Ole Red, White and Blue

David (D.J.) - Rancho Santa Fe, California

I’m an American. In this I mean that I bleed red, white, and blue. I stand for what our founding fathers fought to create. And it is for this reason that I am concerned with our America’s youth. Young adults today have a hard time remembering the name of our president let alone what our founding fathers stood for. They no longer uphold the American beliefs and traditions.

People have fought and died for our country, to allow us to be free. Adolescents today take those sacrifices for granted and expect their freedom to be free of charge.

Children today demand freedom, but don’t really pay it any tribute. There was a time in this country where the only thing we had was our shared identity as Americans. People were proud of the United States. Being an American was an honor in their eyes. Young adults were the first to stand up and defend their country. Now, young adults look back at its history with disdain, anxious to get back on their cell phones. In class recently, we had a moment of silence for the men and women who perished at Pearl Harbor. Out of about fourteen kids all of three were quite. Most people had no idea what happened at Pearl Harbor. I don’t know about you, but this appalled me. What has happened in our country to cause this? How come people today can’t honor the countless men and women who were murdered during a time of peace?

Adolescents in these times are more interested in being “All American Rejects” rather than true Americans. They take no pride in our country or respect those that sacrificed something to protect her. When they meet a veteran they regard him as an old codger and poke fun at him. If, by chance, they happen to glance at our flag it has no meaning to them. They don’t feel proud of it or like it’s their duty to protect it. No way! Why risk anything for a stupid flag? Kids today don’t even take of their hats while the national anthem is being played. Some don’t even stand!

As Americans we need to be proud of our country and honor it’s past as it’s past honors us. We need to stand and doff our caps during the Pledge of Allegiance or the Star Spangled Banner. Americans need to once again fly the flag on national holidays. Politicians need to stop this endless bickering, join together and support our troops, and our president, whoever that may be. Children of our time need to be proud to be Americans. We need to bring back our shared identity as patriots. This I believe.