I Don’t Judge

Nikki - San Diego, California

I believe in judging someone for who they are as a person.

I go to school at Rancho Santa Fe Middle School and most students are judged by what they wear and how they look instead of who they are.

At my school, when you walk down the corridors, all you see is certain group of girls gossiping about other girls because they can’t afford the name-brand clothes.

Popularity hit our school pretty bad. A few of the girls who think they are all that, but aren’t always gossip about everyone. I have never been the victim, but some of my friends have.

A certain friend and I hang out a lot. She always wears outfits that fit her personality. For example she wears shorts over tights, skirts over jeans and does not care much for designer clothes. But that is just the way she is. Well, whenever we walk by these few girls all you here is little whispers and giggling, just because she is wearing her individual outfit. That is just wrong. But my friend is smart, funny, and fun to be around and they will never know that because they judged her on the way she wears her clothes. My friend knows that certain girls make fun of her and laugh at her but she does not care. She does the right thing and just ignores them.

I always use the saying “don’t judge a book by its cover”. But not many people believe in this. Even my own brother judged someone by the way they looked. He made fun of a kid because he wore glasses; he was very short and loud. But now they are best friends and play hockey together all the time. Because my brother got to know him better, they ended up having a lot in common. My brother learned that you should not judge a book by it’s cover.

I strongly believe in judging someone for WHO they are as a person and not how they look or what they wear just like Martin Luther King Jr. He once said “ I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character”. He felt people judged him differently just because he was a different color. Some of the girls at this school judge people by what they look like and not by the content of their character. If more people stop judging other people by how they look, the world and school would be a much better place for everyone.