The Main Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life

Megan - Rancho Santa Fe, California
Themes: gratitude, work

My life is a balancing act. I am playing 2 club sports, hanging out with my friends, spending time with my family, and keeping up with endless amounts of homework. And let me tell you, although it is challenging, it is also extremely rewarding. I believe that balancing is the golden key to living a happy life. Life is not as enjoyable if you work all day, everyday, nor if you goof around and have fun all the time. There is a point in between, that thankfully, I have discovered through my own experiences.

There was a time where I would go to school, then immediately go to a sports practice, and when I finally got home I would spend the rest of my night doing homework until at least ten at night. This process would start the next day and continue until the end of the week. On Fridays I usually couldn’t hang out with my friends, because I would either have to baby-sit my brothers, or have to go to sleep early because of a sports tournament the next morning. This busy schedule made me tired, and stressed. The pressure of trying to be perfect at all of these things was overwhelming. This wasn’t how I wanted to live my life. And so this is how I came to an understanding:

a reality of balancing is that, you can’t be perfect and please everyone. So I stopped trying to be flawless, and started living.

I began turn down babysitting jobs to hang out with my friends, and not do extra credit projects so I could watch American Idol with my family on Wednesday nights. The little things I say no to, help me fit in room for fun, and are well worth giving up. Also I set realistic goals for myself that remind me of my priorities.

Looking at the world now, I see that it is full of stressed-out, work-obsessed, and busy adults, running around doing things non-stop. My mom is one of those adults. She never stops. All day, every week she is always taking care of my three brothers and I, driving us everywhere, cooking us meals, and doing laundry, cleaning, and accounting. Although I admire her hard work and determination, I constantly nag her to relax, and just have some fun. Sometimes I literally have to push her out the door to go to a party, instead of staying home and finishing her work.

Balancing enables me to do so many things I enjoy, and has shown me what is most important in life. Sure, working hard to be successful is important. But if you don’t have good relationships with your family and friends or you never have fun, what is it really worth? Let’s not look back on our past wishing we had spent more time with the ones we care about.