Is Death the Answer?

whitney - ames, Iowa
Themes: injustice

The death penalty is a serious subject to most people and can be scary to some. Various people are for it believing that it should be the fate of the horrible people in this world, while some just view it as a cruel and unusual punishment.

I believe that the death penalty is a subject that we will never get everyone to agree on. The death penalty is an argument in where there are a lot of different viewpoints to consider. To be able to conduct a strong argument one must examine the pros and cons dealing with the death penalty.

With the death penalty only being legal currently in 36 states in the US, I believe that it should be legal in all 50 states. Although the death penalty is legal, it is not sentenced as much as people think. According to the death penalty center in Washington DC the total number of executions resulting from the death penalty since 1976 is only a total of 1099. This is the total over a 32 year period so although the death penalty is legal in those 34 states its not used that much.

I am positive that we can all agree that some people in the world commit crimes that are so terrible you would never think it would have been committed. In situations like brutal murders, a prison sentence just doesn’t seem like justice to me. With the death penalty there is absolutely no risk of that person committing a serious crime ever again.

A concern that people have pertaining to the death penalty is convicting someone that is innocent, but I personally don’t see this as a problem. For one the death penalty is rarely sentenced and secondly a prisoner can appeal their sentence and with a good lawyer and the correct evidence have the death penalty removed if they really are innocent. The courts take this seriously and will examine the case if someone has the evidence to prove their innocence. Statistics show that since 1973 over 120 people have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence, so it is very possible to get off.

Having the death penalty legal can lower crime rates because people will not want the chance of getting the death penalty. Although some see it as a cruel punishment, the death penalty will make it impossible for a criminal to repeat a crime and should be the fate of some of the horrible people in this world.